Getting Started Teachers
Welcome to R4S: Research for Success! The course is designed for teachers and librarians working with College Credit Plus students, high school students, and university freshmen.
PURPOSE AND DESIGN OF THE COURSE
R4S: Research for Success consists of six self-paced learning modules. The modules are designed to be used in a blended learning environment and integrated into a research project.
R4S students build skills beginning with learning, then practice, and finally application. The six modules may be used together or they may be used individually. Each module contains three sections:
- Learn – introduction, learning objectives, learning content (videos, articles, games)
- Practice – practice activities based on the learning objectives and content
- Master – application to a research project or problem, a brief self-assessment
R4S can be the foundation for the Project Based Learning, Research, or Information Literacy standards requirements within the discipline you teach.
R4S assessment is determine by the teacher and librarian. Often teachers and librarians work together in assessing student research projects. Some suggestions include:
- Submitting progress for each module. The teacher guide provides ideas for use of Google Classroom for assignments and feedback.
- Points for each step of the project as the student works toward a final product. Example: The teacher and librarian review the student sources and citations prior to note taking and writing. Both the teacher and librarian suggest additional sources as well as citation revisions, as needed.
- Peer-review and/or collaboration with feedback throughout the research project.
- Self-assessment opportunities contained in R4S for each module.
- The use of the TRAILS Assessment from Kent State University as outlined in the teacher guide.
R4S is designed to be used in any type of classroom environment including:
- Blended learning - combine live instruction with online instruction.
- Online classes - accessing R4S from the website or placing the content in a learning management system. Note: INFOhio provides widgets for each module that can be imported into course management systems.
- Face-to-face class - live instruction with students working independently or in teams.
- Note: the Teachers' Guide provides ideas on using R4S and Google Drive and Google Classroom.
R4S by INFOhio is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. This means the content may be used for non-commercial purposes only with credit to INFOhio.
Teachers please complete the "Request Materials" form on the far right of this page. Once you have completed this form, you will receive an email with information on how to access the teacher guide and complimentary tools to assist in classroom instruction. The guide includes information on using Google Documents and Google Classroom in research as well incorporation of other freely available web-based tools.
ACCOMMODATIONS FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
R4S includes multiple learning opportunities provided to meet various learning preferences as well as disabilities. Whenever possible, a script or closed captioning is included with videos.
Each module provides opportunities to engage in learning by reading, watching videos, participating in games, applying the learning in example activities, participating in class discussions, and applying the process to a real research problem. The following icons represent different types of learning activities.
|Make a choice among options|
|Watch a video|
|Participate in a discussion|
|Participate in an activity|
|Read (screen or document)|
|Play a game|